Excess Electricity Concession

The Annual Electricity Concession (AEC) is capped to an annually adjusted amount for the period starting 1 December. This amount is reviewed each year.

You must apply for the Excess Electricity Concession to receive an electricity concession above that threshold amount.

Who can apply for the concession?

AEC-eligible customers whose annual electricity costs are above the threshold and hold one of the following eligible concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card.

How much is the Excess concession?

17.5 per cent of electricity usage and service costs.

The concession is calculated after retailer discounts and solar credits have been deducted.

How do I apply for the concession?

Next Business Energy will check if you need to apply for the Excess Electricity Concession and send you an application form.

After you have signed and dated the form, send it to the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing at the address listed on the form.

The department will check your eligibility and advise your retailer. Your retailer will calculate the Excess Electricity Concession and apply the concession to your next bill.

My bills are high due to medical needs – do I need to apply?

If you receive the Life support concession or the Medical cooling concession you do not need to complete an application form to receive the Excess electricity concession. Your electricity retailer will apply the concession to your account.

For more information go to the department’s website